We have move the website from ugu.org.uk to uheg.org.uk to reflect the branch's name change to Unison Higher Education Greenwich.
The reasons for the change:
- We currently feel the name confers that it is for University of Greenwich staff only, and we wish to broaden our membership and be more inclusive in our approach.
- As well as attracting Non-UoG members we believe this will make it clearer to contract and agency staff generally, that they have representation whoever they work for in HE within our locality.
- There is proportional high input from other HEIs in the area and they are excluded from representation within the name; it would be appropriate to include all members within the name
- The name change will make the branch seem bigger and more effective and inclusive.
- The name is also slightly misleading, although members clearly recognise and would wish to commend the long history of the branch under its soon to be former name.
- There are a couple of HEI with currently very small membership, Ravensbourne and GSM, and we feel the a name change may help recruit in these two HEIs.
- We wish for every member to feel they can contribute, no matter which HEI they are from and that the name change will help facilitate this.
- Finally, the name Higher Education Greenwich is just more applicable give the day-to-day activities of the branch.